And the nominees for the 2008 ICC awards are ...
The ICC announced the nominees for the 2008 ICC awards, which will be announced on 10 September in Dubai. The original venue was Pakistan
, but it is reliably learnt that media coverage of the event would have been significantly impacted because journalists & photographers from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies & England were concerned over the safety and security arrangements that were promised.
The usual suspects (Chanderpaul, Mahela, Kallis & Taufel) are very much in the reckoning
. The surprising aspect is that Bracken is the only Australian player to be nominated. Is it an indication of Australia being less dominant? Or is it an indication that Australia's wins are coming about due to team efforts (with support from umpires & match referees, perhaps!)? Or do we assume that the selection panel which had distinguished cricketers like Sidath Wettimuny and Athar Ali Khan didn't really like Aussies?
- Cricketer: Graeme Smith
- Test player: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
- ODI player: Nathan Bracken (Australian & bowlers quota selection)
- Emerging player: Stuart Broad (by a whisker, ahead of Ishant Sharma & Ajantha Mendis - mainly because of his all-round ability)
- Associate player: NFI
- Twenty20 International Performance: Yuvraj Singh (notice that it is a 'performance' award, which means a one-off event counts)
- Women's player: NFI
- Spirit of cricket: Australia (isn't in the nominees list though, strangely!)
- Umpire: Aleem Dar (placating Pakistan for the Champions Trophy fiasco)
Labels: icc, icc awards