Bradman reaches century
, named (along with Kerry Packer) as Australian cricket's most influential person
three years ago, would have been 100 years old today
Over a 20-year career, bowlers and captains tore their hair out trying to get him out. But research by us shows that it was actually quite easy to get him out. Based on his statistics
, it is fairly obvious that all you had to do was to play Australia in the following circumstances and he could be dismissed cheaply.
- Jack Ryder as Australian captain (avg. 66.85)
- Make sure you won after opting to bat first (avg. 43.27 in Aus losses, avg. 33.87 when Aus lost after fielding first).
- Strike a deal with Jack Ryder to send Bradman in at #4 (avg. 53.88). Bradman averages 103.63 at #3 and only three other batsmen in test history have made more runs at that position.
- Play the test match at Old Trafford (avg. 27).
- Have Verity, Bedser, Doug Wright, Bill Voce or Gubby Allen on your side. Don't forget to include Lasith Malinga!
- Make sure that Les Ames is the keeper.
Now, that's not a tough ask, is it?!
Labels: australia, birthday, bradman, statistic