Compromise, consensus or come-down?
The meeting convened by the BCCI's review committee to go into the coach v captain
issue has just ended. This is what the sequence of events
has resulted in: (my comments in italics)
- Cricket needs to go forward.
- The coach and captain need to work it out mutually and maintain a professional relationship. (So what was the need for the committee to take this issue up if the captain and coach need to work it out mutually in a professional manner?)
- The captain, coach and players will be judged on their performance (Was the criteria different previously? Why?)
- No player (including the captain) or coach will interact with the media. Anyone flouting this will be taken to task (Total gag order. No post-match presentation ceremonies or press conferences? This is the 1975 Emergency re-enacted)
- Interests of Indian cricket need to be kept in mind (Why not keep in mind the best interests of Singapore cricket?)
- There has been some miscommunication regarding faking of injuries and whatever was stated was far from the truth (Ergo, Chappell lied when he said that Ganguly was faking an injury in the warm-up game. Isn't that a huge thing to reveal about the man you picked as a national coach? If Chappell has any self-respect, he will quit)
- The coach and captain have assured the board that they will work together in the interest of Indian cricket (Is it in their best interest to do so? What about personal agendas?)
- The difference in roles between the captain and the coach is demarcated. We can't throw light on that. (We do not currently have a torchlight available to shed light on that. Alwarpet Aandavas Cricket Club has approached the Madras High Court today with a stay-order to prevent us from shedding any light on any matter, including our elections.)
- They are confident that they will do it. Both coach and captain are happy with the arrangement and the committee is confident of them working together. (We are one big happy family. Can we please go for a group photograph? Ganguly interjects, no pool table photos this time!)
And you guys waited for this
? Did we expect anything different?
Labels: chappell, ganguly v chappell