Pakistan forfeit test
If you've already read this post earlier, scroll down to the list of columns/articles on the issue. That part keeps getting updated.Like Matt said
, the fourth test at The Oval was awarded to England
after the umpires, Darrell Hair and Billy Doctrove, reasoned that by not taking the field post-tea, Pakistan had conceded the game.
A joint statement by the ICC, ECB and PCB
revealed that the umpires didn't come out when Pakistan did because in their opinion, the game was over. So why didn't they pull out the stumps when they left the field? Like I pointed out yesterday, flicking off the bails doesn't mean game up.
What happens now if video evidence emerges indicating that some Pakistani player(s) did alter the condition of the ball before the umpires asked to inspect it
? How about if the 26 cameras around the ground didn't capture a thing? Who has the burden of proof?
What the cricketing world is saying.
Vote in the poll
- Andrew Miller, "What a horrible mess"
- Angus Fraser, "It's just not cricket!"
- Blue and Brown, "Darrell Hair - not a diplomat, but he is quite fat"
- Christopher Martin-Jenkins, "ICC largely to blame as game is ultimate loser"
- Chris (The Burnt Bail), "Darryl Hair's petulance exceeds his trouser size"
- Cricinfo Surfer, "The Oval debacle"
- Geoff Boycott, "Hair cuts an over-officious figure in the game"
- Imran Khan, "Hair the Hitler does it again"
- Intikhab Alam, "Umpire Hair should have come up with proof"
- Jonathan Agnew, "While I do have some sympathy for Pakistan, staging a sit-in was not the right way to register their protest"
- Kamran Abbasi, "Hair-raising row turns Oval Test on its head"
- Khalid Hussain, "Hair-raising incident sets fire to a dead Test rubber"
- Lawrence Booth, "Isolated Hair's future in doubt as ECB fumes"
- Mihir Bose, "Attack on Inzy's "izzat" was the last straw"
- Nasser Hussain, "I'd have done the same if I had been in Inzy's shoes"
- Pratyush (Sportolysis), "Cricket suffers"
- Ramiz Raja, "Pakistan in the crossHair"
- Rick Eyre, "First thoughts on the Fourth Test"
- Scott (The Corridor), "Oval Test awarded to England"
- Stu (STUmpCam), "It's just not cricket....;-("
- Ted Corbett, "Ball tampering row in spotlight"
about who is to blame for the fiasco.
Labels: ball tampering, forfeit, hair, oval 2006